Historic Parks, Fairfield County, Ohio
Location: Stonewall Cemetery Road, Lancaster, Ohio 43130
Stonewall Cemetery also know as Presidents Cemetery In 1812, Nathaniel Wilson 11 received land from the general land office. The cemetery is along the edge of this property in Hocking Township. In order to preserve the cemetery, Nathaniel Wilson III deeded this land in trust to the Presidents of the United States. There are no presidents buried here. In 1838, a stonewall was erected around the cemetery. The wall was constructed without the use of mortar and it is considered one of the best examples of dry masonry in Ohio.
Historical Parks Site
Pickerington Rd., Bloom Township
Lockville, Ohio was the site of seven locks along the Ohio-Erie Canal. Today Lockville Park, a part of the Fairfield County Historical Parks system, has 6 acres of land with 3 sets of intact locks from the Ohio-Erie canal with towpath and basin. The stone masonery of locks 11, 12 and 13 can be easily viewed by visitors.
Access to the park is along Pickerington Road. A parking lot and picnic tables are easily accessible. More of the lock is currently being uncovered.
Hartman II Covered Bridge moved to Lockville Park in 1967
The Hartman II Covered Bridge was moved to Lockville Park in 1967. It is one of the 18 covered bridges still in existence in Fairfield County.
Off Rt 33 at the Bypass entrance south of Lancaster, Ohio in Berne Twp.
Features a steel sculpture of a red-tailed hawk made up of more than 3,000 pieces, weighing more than 2,500 pounds and having a wingspan of more than 14 ft. The hawk appears to be landing on a “nest” 40 ft. in the air.
Created by nationally known sculptor, Ric Leichliter a life-ling resident of Fairfield County, Ohio. He currently resides in the Village of Sugar Grove not far from the sculpture.
Clear Creek Township (see map)
Open dawn to dusk.
“X” shaped Prehistoric Indian Mound on 29 acres; only one of its kind known to exist in the world. Possibly Fort Ancient Culture. Also a rare stone mound. Reached by crossing a suspension bridge over Salt Creek. The bridge, built in 1936, is the only existing WPA project in Fairfield County.
Rock Mill is open on the weekends – Open May-October Saturday-Sunday 1:00-3:00 pm. Visits to the grounds can be made sunrise to sunset throughout the year.
Fairfield County. Bloom Township. From Lancaster, northwest on S.R. 33 2 miles, left on Lithopolis Road (in Hooker), 3 miles, at intersection, on Rock Mill Road. Hocking River.
Ohio’s oldest and largest gristmill on the upper falls of the Hocking River. Six Stories with two below grade level. Powered by a 26 ft. overshot water wheel with a mill race cut through solid sandstone more than 30 ft. long.
Fairfield County Historical Parks, employees and volunteers dedicated themselves to finding monies and local craftsmen to stabilize the mill initially (1991) and subsequently restored the structure in its completion in 2010. It is beautiful the waterwheel was installed in 2012.